Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Return of a Hobby

Return of a Hobby

I have not posted for a while. I needed some time away from the sometimes caustic nature of the religious world. My hobbies are martial arts and Ham radio. Recently, after my son graduated from high school and left for college, I decided to re-enter the amateur radio (Ham) hobby. As usual I went in full throttle. I am a research geek at heart so I asked myself, "What is the most geeky thing I could do?" The answer is satellite communications. There are a hand full of birds in non-synchronous orbits whizzing around in orbits going out af far 1500 miles. I put together a station and built an antenna system that could be rotated and elevated. For the last couple of months I have been focussing on working the birds.

It is my habit to fully research a subject, do it, then write about it. When I came back in to  Ham radio I held a lower class license, which I got in 1987. I studied in a particular way, using certain information such as the FCC question pool with just the answers and some basic formulas. This worked well. I passed the General class one moth, then the Extra class the next, and finally the Volunteer Examiner test. Owing to the success of the course study, I have published a study guide for all Amateur Radio tests.


JUST THE FACTS: The Complete Study Guide For All Amateur Radio Tests: Presenting the Questions and Answers to the Technician, General, and Extra ... Exams, and the Volunteer Examiner's Test


http://www.amazon.com/JUST-FACTS-Presenting-Questions-Technician/dp/1936533286/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347455648&sr=1-1&keywords=amateur+radio+tests
JUST THE FACTS: The Complete Study Guide For All Amateur Radio Tests:  Presenting the Questions and Answers to the Technician, General, and Extra ... Exams, and the Volunteer Examiner's Test

See you on the air!
Joseph Lumpkin
AB4AN